The symposium is expected to result in tenable outcomes relevant to the monitoring, analysis, and research activities in the participating communities. This is a working meeting with sufficient time for significant participation interactions. Specifically, it is expected that:
- The Symposium Report will summarize the state-of-the-art related to the four subthemes and identify emerging information, research and monitoring needs;
- There will be enhanced and new joint issue-based research activities;
- The symposium will provide input to the present and future GEO Work Programmes;
- Contributions will be made to the identification of Essential Ocean Variables (EOVs) and societal information needs related to the oceans;
- Linkages with new communities and users will be developed.